Laura K. Lawless, was About.com's French Language Guide/Expert from 1999 to May 2014, and has been a French fanatic since her first visit to Paris at 15. She is also a freelance translator and the author of Intermediate French for Dummies, as well as six other books on language (three French and three Spanish). You can find her still teaching virtual French at Lawless French or follow/like her on social media:
Laura began learning French in 1987 and loved it so much that she decided to start learning another language (Spanish) two years later. She has traveled to 20 countries (and counting!) and has lived in several: 2½ years in Morocco (where she learned a smattering of Arabic), 9 months in Costa Rica, and just over 2 years in Hyères, France. Then she spent 3 months traveling around the six corners of the Hexagon before moving to Menton in October 2010 (and dabbling in Italian). Three years later, she moved to Guadeloupe.
Press and Media:
- Consultant on the topic of French business writing for the book Business Writing for Dummies, August 2013
- Interview: Laura K. Lawless (My French Life, October 2011)
- The Importance of Learning French (PDF) (Suite101, January 2010)
- An Interview with Laura K. Lawless from About.com (The French Corner, July 2007)
- Consultant on the topic of The "Rude" French for the book I Can't Believe You Asked That!, September 2004
- Laura K. Lawless: The most popular Francophone on the Internet (The Panache Experience, July-August 2004 issue)
Laura has a BA in International Studies with unofficial minors in French and Spanish from Monterey Institute of International Studies, and also spent a year in MIIS' MA program in translation + interpretation. In addition, Laura did some graduate work in linguistics and translation at San José State University, spent 6 weeks studying French business and culture at l'Institut de formation internationale near Rouen, France, and studied for a month at the Alliance française in Toulouse, France.
(More about Laura)
By Laura K. Lawless:
Audio introduction: in English | en français
Bonjour fellow French lovers, and welcome! Being able to speak French is one of my greatest joys in life. I'm truly delighted to have the opportunity to share my knowledge of and love for French with other Francophiles. If you're anything like me, you can't learn enough about this beautiful language. This site includes thousands of pages of French lessons and linguistics, classroom ideas, cultural info, and much more, for students, teachers, and lovers of French.