1. Education

Laura K. Lawless

Tour de France: French cycling vocabulary and a poll

By July 20, 2013

The Tour de France ends on 21 July. Follow along with some French vocabulary related to cycling and let us know if you've watched an étape by voting in my informal poll.

More Subscribe to this French blog: RSS | Twitter | Facebook

Comments

July 3, 2010 at 1:45 pm
(1) Connie says:

Now if only there was a way to see the TDF on American TV broadcast with French-speaking commentators. Well, I am grateful I can watch it at all – and this year I’m even watching it in HD!

July 23, 2011 at 11:23 pm
(2) chris says:

I completley agree Connie. I prefer the french commentators as well!

July 9, 2010 at 3:16 am
(3) Jos says:

Laura, as far as I can work out this is your 3rd July in France and you still haven’t been to watch a stage! This is such an incredibly French spectacle, masses of fun and because of the atmosphere you talk to lots of people in the crowd as you’re waiting for the bikes to come past. Sisteron, le départ of stage 11 on the 15th is only 160 km from Hyères. But you’ve still got time to head up to the Alps and see a mountain stage (they’re more fun) – not to mention the Pyrenées (100 years since they first entered the tour)…

. . . . . . . . . .

I’ve read about it, but it just doesn’t interest me in the slightest. Plus I’m traveling all summer, and our itinerary is already packed.

Laura K. Lawless
Learn French at About

July 19, 2011 at 11:49 am
(4) Jos says:

Another year, another chance :)

July 5, 2011 at 9:44 am
(5) ron says:

Have watched every stage since Big Mig (Induran) started winning. I am totally addicted.

July 5, 2011 at 1:42 pm
(6) Juan says:

It’s a great way to see « des châtaux le moins connu, trop de paysages magnifiques et les plus belles villes » that are not in your typical travel guide. You wont be disappointed!

July 21, 2011 at 9:34 pm
(7) Walter S. Caradona says:

“Le tour de France”, c’est une merveille.

I am going back many years. Here are few names of bicycle racers of the old days: Louison Bobet, Lazarides, Fausto Coppi,Gino Bartalli.

July 20, 2013 at 4:44 pm
(8) Jacki says:

I watched almost every étape from here on the West Coast, where the programs start around 5:30 am. Love it.