1. Education

Laura K. Lawless

French expression: NoŽl malin

By December 16, 2012

If you do any shopping in France or on French websites from now until the end of the year, you'll probably run across the expression NoŽl malin.
More: French expressions | Christmas in France

Comments

December 4, 2009 at 7:26 am
(1) paula says:

haha merci! maintenant j’ai bien compris… Great work… as always!

December 4, 2009 at 10:43 am
(2) Lauriate Roly. says:

NoŽl malin – somthing like “Midnight Madness” in America?

December 4, 2009 at 4:51 pm
(3) Tina Marzocca says:

NoŽl malin – or Black Friday??? lol

December 5, 2009 at 12:45 am
(4) laura says:

NoŽl malin..j’ai bien compris..merci beaucoup

December 5, 2009 at 1:29 am
(5) prafulla_vajirkar says:

It is a good expression which we may add in a list of our vocabulary of shopping and use in a similar situations also, e.g. bon marchť, discount, en solde, soldes etc.
No doubt, it is an interesting expression. We welcome many more such expressions.
Merci beaucoup.

December 7, 2009 at 4:07 am
(6) sophie says:

noel malin,maybe it means people who have their own shopping plans,no crazy shoppings in the daily life?

November 5, 2010 at 1:09 pm
(7) Eamonn says:

I just got an email from Paypal (en franÁais) and your lesson was very helpful because the phrase most definitely does exist in french as the following quote from the advertisement indicates:

Envie d’un NOňL MALIN ? FAITES-VOUS COACHER !

Les Astuces de NOňL !

Please keep up the good work – your site has proved invaluable to me in learning french – I have been living in Roussillon for two years.

November 25, 2011 at 1:45 am
(8) Taruna says:

Thanks for this expression – Noel Malin.

Do they use ” Malin” for sales at other occasions as well or only at Christmas.

Merci bcp!

. . . . . . . . . .

They might say something like “Soyez malin” but I’ve never heard “malin” specifically with other holidays.

Laura K. Lawless
Learn French at About

November 26, 2011 at 12:03 am
(9) Taruna says:

Merci Laura :)

November 26, 2011 at 8:01 pm
(10) Judy says:

Merrci!
Thank you for being so appropo and seasonal with your info! I used your lessons and information exceedingly while I was teaching French. I am retired now but always learning new things from you , Laura. I am passing your info on to my older son in CA since he has just begun learning the language as it relates to his Masonry. If you have any suggestions for material for him…it would be appreciated.

December 17, 2012 at 9:16 pm
(11) Serge says:

In the place where I work the cafeteria proposes us a “menu malin”, which is a cheaper meal.